Half a million looted from Treasury?

Friday, April 17th, 2015. BMG: The Government of Belize faces some financial worries, as police are investigating a reported theft from the Treasury. Certainly more than $350,000 and reports say as much as half a million, up to reportedly a million dollars was taken in several installments. But how was it done? Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Dean Barrow, who was briefed earlier this week by Financial Secretary Joseph Waight, says certain officials participated in a scam involving Government accounts over a period of time without notice from the bosses. dean barrow (leader, united democratic party use for santi story only)

They would access legitimate payments for particular accounts, changing account numbers while retaining the names. One of the local banks apparently caught on when it found a mismatch between a certain name and account number and reported the matter.

While police are still investigating the Prime Minister says arrests, as of when he was last briefed, are yet to come. They are still gathering evidence in the case. He referred the press to FinSec Waight for an update as of tomorrow after he is briefed or the Central Bank.


© 2015, This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Under Post Ads

Today's News Sponsored By: larry-1 larry-3 larry-2 larry-4


Get the latest from Breaking Belize News anywhere, anytime

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *