Fire guts two dwellings in Corozal town
July 9, 2014
OAS diplomats pay tribute to Ambassador Alfredo Martinez
July 9, 2014

House fire in Hattieville village leaves family homeless

House fire

House fire in Hattieville

House fire in Hattieville

Wednesday, July 8, 2014. PATRICK E. JONES Reporting: A fire in Hattieville village, Belize district on Tuesday morning has left 15 people homeless.

Authorities say their preliminary investigation revealed that an 8 year old child playing with a lighter allegedly ignited a curtain which set the entire building ablaze.

According to the owner of the house, 54 year old Eloise Hyde, she sent her two grandsons downstairs to watch television in the lower flat around 8 am on Tuesday.

About an hour later, Hyde said that she smelled smoke and observed that it was coming from the downstairs.

Shortly after, one of her grandsons rushed upstairs to informed her that the house was on fire.

By the time the fire service extinguished the blaze, the building and its contents were completely gutted.

Police put the estimated cost of the damage at BZ$50,000.

Investigations continue.

© 2014, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *