Cane farmers reject paltry bagasse payment
July 21, 2014
Garifuna youth take part in cultural retrieval activity in Punta Gorda
July 22, 2014

Ramon, Jr., questions officers’ involvement in kidnapping/murder

Ramon Cervantes' vehicle

Ramon Cervantes, Sr.

Ramon Cervantes, Sr.

Monday, July 21, 2013. AARON HUMES Reporting: Son of the late Ramon Cervantes, Sr., Ramon “Monchie” Cervantes, Jr., registered his disappointment with Commissioner of Police Allen Whylie.

This comes after the top cop told reporters last week that police were instructed by the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to lay charges against the three accused for kidnapping and murder but not against two police officers who are alleged to be involved.

Allen Whylie (Commissioner of Police)

Allen Whylie
(Commissioner of Police)

Commissioner Whylie has been kept up to date with the investigation and says that at this time the investigation is ongoing and “emotion” by family members would not be allowed to dictate it.

He did note, however, that disciplinary charges are also being considered against the two officers involved.

Cervantes explained that the family has not been kept up to date on any aspect of the investigation, including whether the officers remain under investigation and they are not sure if any officer was ever in detention.

Ramon Cervantes' vehicle

Ramon Cervantes’ vehicle

Nevertheless, they continue to believe that the law men in question know something because he personally saw the police-style handcuffs and chains when the body was exhumed from the shallow grave on a farm on the Honey Camp Road on Saturday, July 5.

The Department are the only entity that knows for sure unless someone is lying, Cervantes said.

He explained that the family is doing its best to try to move on and allow the Police to conduct the investigation as they see fit.

According to Cervantes, he did not know any of the accused personally prior to their arrest but may have seen them once or twice.

Manuel Castillo

Manuel Castillo

Likewise, the family does not know of the status of Manuel “El Pelon” Castillo, now wanted by Interpol and Belize Police for his alleged involvement. Cervantes said that he hopes justice is served for the sake of Belize, Belizeans and security of the country, because his father’s untimely end has given pause to those who, like him, took their security for granted.

If the case is thoroughly and successfully investigated, he added, it would restore trust to the much-maligned Belizean justice and law enforcement system.

He also took time to give thanks to the Orange Walk and Corozal community and those nationwide who have given their family their support in their time of bereavement.

© 2014, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *