Thursday, June 11th 2015. BMG: This morning, BMG received an email from a UB Student that details a number of critical issues that are affecting the national university.
“I can tell that it’s not all cumbaya at our National University. Mr. Slusher has proven and continue to be incompetent and allow his personal qualms to affect his judgment and treatment of those he leads,” states the student in the email.
According to the student, the following are the issues that need to be rectified at the University:
- UB needs an administration of visionary people-we are presently saddled with an interim president, who is always away on government business, an interim provost, interim deans, chairs who cannot get along with their deans and coordinators who are yet to understand their roles.
- UB needs to practice transparency and accountability in matters of finance. They ought to be accountable to the government, to the parents , to the students, to the donors and to the wider public that pay UB bills. When was the last time UB published its financial statements for public review.
- UB needs to make known its salary structure and it must be clear and not subject to the whims and the fancies of the HR director. UB will soon be facing a class action suit by employees who feel that since the days of the birth of UB that they have not been paid their correct salaries. Ub will find itself at the brink of financial disaster and government will either have to bail them out or change the administration to avoid this impending fallout.
- It behooves the Office of Human Resources to review the salary structure, as the evening is late and the dawn of questioning and litigation is upon us. It is still not too late to practice fairness.
- The salaries of the president, the provost, assistant provost, HR director, Profesors, Associate Profesors,. Lecturers, etc should all be made public. (Not by name but by office)
- UB must do all in its power to foster and encourage excellence. We cannot keep graduating students who cannot meet today’s challenges. Though may I hasten to say that UB does have students who have excelled abroad and continue to excel abroad and at home, and do give the University a bright outlook.
- UB must be the only university in the world where everyone is interim, temporary, HR permanently appointed , retired or adjunct.
- Its high time that the University Profesors engage in meaningful research that can contribute to national development. This must be demanded by the administration and the resources provided. Lets stop running the university like a boledo shop.
- Other regional and international universities must be called upon to put pressure on UB to address these situations so as to enhance regional and international cooperation in the quest for excellence.
The student ends the letter by saying, “I call on the powers that be to investigate the practices at UB. This is our only National University and should be our pride and our joy and be home for those who excel in academia. The present climate is poisonous for development.”
© 2015, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.