Tuesday, October 20, 2015. BMG: A press release from Belize Electricity Limited (BEL), issued this morning, serves to inform the public about the hazards of illegal electrical connections and share many of the dangers that were apparent in Belize City during the flooding. BEL requested the assistance of the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) to caution the public about the danger to life that these improper connections cause.
It made mention of instances over the weekend when extension cords were immersed in water and caused damages in areas like Antelope Street Extension, one starting a fire that destroyed a house and threatened lives. There was also the high-risk of the flood waters becoming electrically charged and electrocuting anyone who made contact with it, so to avoid endangering lives, BEL cut off power from the mentioned area for approximately 11 hours, allowing NEMO personnel to complete its rescue operations.
BEL wishes to inform the public countrywide that that they can be safely connected to its electricity system through the Connecting Homes, Improving Lives (CHIL) Program. Under the CHIL Program, low-income residents may qualify for the installation of a free service entrance, which will allow their homes to be properly connected for power supply.
Along with the CHIL Program, BEL has a Golden Citizen Program where it pays the monthly bill for senior citizens who are struggling to make their monthly payments. Hundreds of households have been connected countrywide and BEL has plans to connect more households as long as the necessary infrastructures are in place to do so.
© 2015, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.