Posted: Friday, January 8, 2016. 8:51 pm CST.
By Aaron Humes: A family of 14 – three sisters, their husbands and 8 children who lived off Boots Crescent in Belize City are fortunate to be alive after a fire engulfed and destroyed the contents of a container and board trailer house they occupied. It happened after 9 p.m. on Thursday.
The fire started in the rear of the Flowers’ home. They constantly had breaker problems and had already decided that after payday today, they would fix it, using candles until then. But bad luck struck first.
This afternoon, Station Chief for the National Fire Service, Orin Smith, agreed when asked whether, with so many persons occupying a very small structure and the confirmed source of the fire being close to one of the exits, the family was lucky to have escaped alive, due to quick response.
The Service needed just seven firefighters and five minutes to control and end the fire. Smith says they varied their tactics to control this fire, which took place inside a zinc and iron structure nestled between two wooden houses. Most of the firefighting thus took place inside, not affecting the nearby structures.
Meanwile, the family, who are currently staying with relatives, has been living at the house for the past 18 years. The house was uninsured and belonged to their mother who lives in the US.
The eight children are in Infant One up to sixth form.
To help, you can call Shirley Flowers at 631 3985, Halima Flowers at 6350677 and Rosalyn Flowers at 631 1221.
Advertise with the largest and fastest growing audience in Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at [email protected] or call us at 670-6397.
© 2016, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.