Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016. 2:45 p.m. CST
By Dalila Ical: “I am disappointed” says Will Maheia after learning of the Governor General of Belize, Sir Colville Young’s decision to pass a regulation to prohibit persons and vessels to enter the Sarstoon River for one month.
Maheia says that government is trying all it can to prevent a peaceful expedition to commemorate the 1859 treaty, an important part of Belize’s history.
“If Belizeans cannot be on the river, I hope Guatemalans can’t either”, Maheia adds.
The government’s decision to restrict movement in the area for one month came after unsuccessful attempts at dissuading the BTV from making the trip to the Sarstoon which GOB feels will only provoke more tensions in an already volatile area and hinder effort of reaching a peaceful solution to the situation.
Even with the new temporary restriction, Maheia says they are going through as planned.
According to Maheia, he is willing to risk sanctions by the government as he believes he is standing up for Belize and Belizeans. He goes on to say that because nothing is being done to stop the exploitation of Belize’s natural resources, he will defend it and boldly added that “if I have to pay a price for it, then I will pay that price.”
While that is his position, Maheia said that he will be meeting with other BTV members at five this evening to make a decision on whether they will enter the Sarstoon River or not.
So far over 100 people have called to say they will be joining in on the expedition, including members of the NTUCB, BNTU, BGYEA and BTV members. Most, if not all media, will be following the group on the expedition.
© 2016, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.