Posted: May 16, 2016. 6:19 p.m. CST.
By BBN Staff: The Ministry of Health has confirmed that a sample testing positive for Zika returned to Belize from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) last week. It is the first confirmed case in the country.
“The Zika Plan is being followed in light of this case which is from Belize City. The patient is a Belizean national,” said a government release issued today.
The government adds that the sample was part of a heightened surveillance carried out across the country.
As a result, government is conducting an investigation while initiating several measures to minimize and contain a potential outbreak.
“The Ministry will continue to be actively engaged with the community to minimize impact and we continue to ask the community to do everything possible to assist the Ministry and our partners to reduce mosquito breeding sites such as discarding buckets, old tires and other containers that may hold water,” advised GOB.
More on the case will be shared with the public as the investigations continue GOB said.
© 2016, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.