Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016. 11:26 a.m. CST.
By BBN Staff: The 11th edition of the Belize International Film Festival wrapped up on Sunday night with the DigiCell 4G LTE closing night awards concert presented by the Music Ambassador of Belize at the Bliss Center for Performing Arts.
The winners were announced in seven categories:
1. Best Narrative Feature SABINA K (Bosnia/USA) Director – Cristobal Krusen Special Jury Mention IXCANUL (Guatemala/Fance) Director – Jayro Bustamante
2. Best Documentary Feature HEXA: GRANDSON OF THE RULERS OF BRAZIL (Brazil) Director – Washington Carvalho Special Jury Mention I AM FROM WHERE A RIVER RUNS/YO SOY DE DONDE HAY UN RIO (Nicaragua) Director – Rossana Lacayo
3. Best Short Film YOCHI (Belize/USA) Director – Ilana Lapid Special Jury Mention MANNA (Belize) Director – Daniel E. Hyde
4. Best Short Documentary WINGS OF HOPE (Belize) Directors – Carol & Richard Foster
5. Best Music Video SOCA MODE (Belize), Director – Melonie Gillett
6. Best Environmental Film VOICES OF LATIN AMERICA/VOCES DE LATINOAMERICA (Argentina) Director – Ignacio Robayna
7. Most Notable Belizean Film MANNA (Belize) Director: Daniel E. Hyde
The jury members this year were Andre Bennett, CEO of Cinema Esperança International in Canada; Alejandra Guzzo, Professor at the University of Tucuman & President of the Association of Documentary producers and filmmakers of Argentina; Sandro Halphen, Head of Development and Acquisitions for Corazon Films in Mexico; and Tim Cruz, writer/director with Guerrilla Hollywood in (USA) & owner of Tim Cruz Loves You (music video production company).
According to Festival Director Suzette Zayden, “Our 11th year is only the beginning of a new decade and move forward for BIFF. While we intend to remain an international festival to keep Belizeans exposed to stories from around the world that speak to our hearts and minds, we are still focused on maintaining within the festival high quality films from Central American, the Caribbean and Mexico as these are our neightbours, our region and where the stories and realities portrayed will most resemble us onscreen.”
The jury reviewed 34 selections from more than 20 countries, and 17 music videos in the Belizean-only music video category.
© 2016, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.