Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016. 11:37 a.m. CST.
By BBN Staff: A project is currently underway for the upgrading of the Flowers Bank Access Road to all-weather standard.
The project is the result of efforts by Minister of National Emergency Management Edmond Castro, and it is part of a flood mitigation program which he says he intends to carry out throughout his constituency and expand to other flood-prone areas countrywide from now until the start of the next Hurricane Season on June 1, 2017.
In November of last year, Flowers Bank was one of the villages in the Belize District most severely impacted by flooding which also affected parts of Southern Belize. Villagers of Flowers Bank were at that time virtually cut off by road from the rest of the country and had to be provided with ration from the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO).
Castro says that with the recent replacement of the old wooden bridge on the access road with a sturdy and higher cement structure, and now the elevating and upgrading of the entire road, the situation will be much improved.
© 2016, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.