Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018. 9:44 a.m. CST.
By BBN Staff: Henry Cornejo, the man accused of the 2012 murder of Marvin “Inches” Nunez, is a free man this week, after prosecutors withdrew charges against him, five years after he was remanded to the Belize Central Prison.
On Wednesday, Crown Counsel Killeru Awich came to court to enter a nolle prosequi ( formal notice of abandonment of the case) on behalf of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Awich told the court that the DPP’s office did not wish to proceed with the matter any further.
After cautioning Cornejo that the Crown still has the option to bring charges against him again, Justice Collin Williams told him he was free to go. Reports are that five witnesses had already been called in the trial without jury, when the DPP’s office entered nolle prosequi.
The case emerged from the incident which happened on December 7, 2012, where Nunuez was gunned down at the gate of St. Ignatius Primary School, in plain view of the students, including his own child whom he had just dropped off.
Police arrested and charged Cornejo days after the incident, and he was arraigned on December 11.
© 2018, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.