Pictures courtesy: The Sun
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018. 9:26 a.m. CST.
By BBN Staff:A woman from Leicester, England is terrified after discovering a live scorpion inside an imported bag of bananas from Belize.
Linda Pollard,67, told The Sun that her son opened the bag of bananas and took one and when she later decided to put the remaining fruits in a dish, she saw a spider coming out of the bag.
Shortly thereafter, she noticed that it was not a spider but a scorpion.
Pollard called the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) authorities and they identified the scorpion as a Slenderbrown scorpion which is common in Belize where the bananas had come from.
The scorpions are classed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 as poisonous with a sting like a bee that can cause pain, redness, and swelling.
RSPCA Inspector Richard Durant told The Sun in an interview, “It must have given the lady a real surprise. This little chap had stowed away in a bunch of bananas from Belize but I have been able to safely transfer him to an exotics specialist facility.”
© 2018, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.