Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018. 2:10 p.m. CST.
The views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Breaking Belize News.
By Lisa Shoman: I say NO to the holding any referendum on going to the ICJ in Belize until at a minimum:
1). There is a proper Sarstoon Protocol in place;
2). Guatemala acts like a good neighbor and equally respectful partner in every process, whether bilateral, multilateral or the claim;
3) There is full re-registration of the electoral rolls in Belize;
4) there is a full and proper education campaign which gives equal opportunity to both Yes and No proponents run by persons of the highest integrity;
5) There is a united and NON-PARTISAN approach to any process having to do with the unfounded Guatemalan Claim;
6) There is the repeal of that section of the Maritime Areas which limits our claim to a 3 mile limit for territorial seas in the south; and
7) Until we HAVE a Foreign Minister and GOB that understands and insists that Belize HAS internationally recognized borders even if Guatemala does not recognize those borders.
We must ensure that the moral high ground that we occupy and display to the world – is as flood-proof as we can possibly make it.
We cannot and must not be coerced into any plebescite in which there is not mutual respect from our partner which signals that there will be actual respect for any potential Court ruling by Guatemala.
A sure NO vote right now would do much more damage than waiting to have a referendum under the right conditions : with educated Belizean voters, a strong and united Government and Opposition and a respectful neighbor and partner.
We owe the Jewel nothing less.
© 2018, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.