fbpx
16-year-old student from Belmopan missing
January 21, 2019
Over 2 pounds of cannabis found inside bus
January 22, 2019

Great things coming to Lake-I Blvd, says DPM

  • 210
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    210
    Shares

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019. 8:50 am CST.

By BBN Staff: Since late last year, drivers in Belize City traveling on Lake Independence Boulevard were given some relief from the horrible road conditions following a fresh pave; works which Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber says are just the beginning of good things for the area.

Faber, who is the Chairman of the Board of the state owned construction company, Belize Infrastructure Limited (BIL), said that the pavement is a part of the larger project to have the entire stretch of road re-done, following Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s 2017 declaration that the project was a failure.

He explained that the area has a problem with material settling so GOB is layering pavement in phases to ensure that the final phase does not end up like the first project. He added that there are several other infrastructure works planned out for the area including the construction of two “state of the art” government complex buildings, one of which will house government offices that are currently in the Charles Barlette Hyde Building on Mahogany Street.

Faber noted that a new youth center is near completion in the area, which will be a facility comparable to the Gateway Youth Center on Dakers street. That facility will be administered by the Ministry of Human Development.

“There’s a lot of activity that we expect to be in that area and so the main road in and out of there has to be in tip top shape at some point,” Faber said.

Less than a year after its completion, Lake Independence Boulevard, a $3.2 million project that finished off just before the 2015 General Elections, had started to deteriorate. By 2017, the road was in deplorable conditions prompting Prime Minister Dean Barrow to declare it a failure and bring in Chartered Engineer with the Ministry of Works, Evondale Moody to explain what went wrong.

Moody said that when the Ministry of Works started the project, they put down material and left it to settle and would have followed through with paving the road after. He said that when BIL took over the project, the company excavated all the material that the Ministry had set and then built the road on what was essentially red clay. BIL later estimated that to get the road re-done would cost Belizeans an additional $5 million.

Comments

 

Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.

 

© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

  • larry waight
  • galen university

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *