Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019. 4:11 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: The Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) today announced that it has extended the Genetic Improvement in Sheep and Goat Project in Belize, also known as “the Sheep Project”, for another year.
The project will now end on December 1, 2019, to further improve the sheep production in Belize.
Today, the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) presented the seventh disbursement, a total of US $195,000 for the Genetic Improvement in Sheep and Goat Project to Ministry of Agriculture of Belize.
Since the signing of the agreement between the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the Government of Belize on the cooperation in Genetic Improvement in Sheep and Goat Project in December 2015, the three-year sheep project has accomplished its first stage goal with significant results as:
1) the expansion of the infrastructure of the National Sheep and Goat Breeding Centre at Central Farm,
2) creating the only known modern sheep barn in the region,
3) the procurement of quality sheep breeding stocks from USA, which are three popular breeds, the Dorper, Katahdin and Barbados Blackbelly,
4) capacity building of Extension Officers, Technicians and Sheep Farmers through technical training and hands-on practice and
5) conducted training in sheep reproduction with the visit of short-term consultants from Taiwan to Belize, to improve their knowledge and skills in sheep production and improved management.
In addition, a Breeding centre was also established at the livestock section in Central Farm and a dozen breeder farmers were selected and trained.
The above-mentioned fund will benefit and strengthen the sheep industry through the work plan of 2019 to:
1) procure additional breeding stock of the Katahdin breed,
2) obtain machinery for National Sheep and Goat Breeding Centre, such as manure conveyors and elevators,
3) establish a digital system for breeding stock certification,
4) capacity building for BLPA to enhance the function of the Sheep Farmer Association in Belize to establish the information exchange platform for local farmers,
5) launch the operation of the Breeding Stock Certification Program and
6) linking to the domestic and foreign markets for the benefit of the sheep and goat industry in Belize.
The Embassy of Republic of China (Taiwan) also announces that sheep producers in Belize are already benefiting from breeding stocks being now supplied from the National Sheep and Goat Breeding Centre, and so far a total of 39 breeding rams and ewes of new genetic bloodlines are now in production at breeder and commercial farms across the country of Belize.
The continued cooperation with Ministry of Agriculture of Belize and stakeholders will further strengthen the ties with Government of Republic of China (Taiwan), for greater future developments for the national sheep industry.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.