Posted: Monday, March 4, 2019. 8:30 pm CST.
By BBN Staff:On April 10, 2019, Belizeans will participate in a historic national referendum to decide whether or not to take Guatemala’s long standing claim on Belize’s territory to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for final resolution.
There are implications if Belize votes ‘Yes’ and if we vote ‘No’.
Whichever decision you choose to support, here are six reasons it is important to vote on April 10, 2019.
1. A referendum is a direct vote where the electorate is invited to vote on a question of national issue. Notably, not all countries adopt referendum laws in their constitution thus Belizeans are privileged that national law makers made way for the populace to be able to vote on this important issue.
2. As a Belizean, voting is your right and as such you are encouraged to exercise your right to vote. Be a responsible and proud Belizean and VOTE!
3. You have the opportunity to decide on this very important national issue for the future of Belize and Belizeans. You are counted.
4. Every vote counts. Therefore, if your heart and mind has led you to believe that going to the ICJ is the right decision and you do not participate, it becomes one vote less. And, if you believe that the claim should NOT be taken to the ICJ and you choose not to participate, it becomes one vote less.
5. Through voting, you have the opportunity to influence change in Government’s decision.
6. Voting is also a way of demonstrating that we have civic pride and we care about the future of our country.
Remember to be informed, educate yourself and ink those fingers on April 10, 2019.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.
© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.