Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2019. 4:55 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: The Ministry of Health (MOH) says that it is aware of the advisory issued by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) about a possible spike in Dengue fever cases, and has begun making preparations.
MOH representatives told Breaking Belize News that the Vector Control Unit has several plans already in place and, as an extra measure, the ministry has signed on to several projects with regional partners in light of the advisory.
The ministry notes that those actions were already in motion, due to a similar advisory issued by the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) earlier this year.
PAHO’s advisory, issued last week, explained that there has been a notable increase in Dengue cases within the region for the beginning of 2019 when compared to the same period last year.
PAHO’s latest epidemiological update on dengue, published on February 22nd, said that there were 560,586 cases of dengue reported regionally in the Americas last year, including 3,535 severe cases of dengue and 336 deaths. For the first six weeks of 2019, there have
been almost 100,000 cases of dengue reported, including 632 cases of
severe dengue and 28 deaths.
Advertise with the largest and fastest growing audience in Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at [email protected] or call us at 670-6397.
© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.