Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019. 6:01 pm CST.
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019. 5:54 p.m. CST.
By BBN Staff: The Ministry of Health (MOH) has reached out to Mexican authorities asking them to address the burning at a dumpsite which has caused thick smoke
that is affecting several villages in Northern Belize; however, villagers in these areas may have to consider moving temporarily if the situation gets any worse.
The MOH said that they received complaints that the smoke had been affecting the communities of San Narciso, Louisville, San Victor, Santa Clara, San Roman, Cristo Rey and Concepcion in the Corozal District for the past three weeks.
The Ministry went on to warn that the smoke can cause burning to the eyes, runny nose, and irritation to throat; wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath and headache as well as worsen existing lung, heart, and circulatory conditions, including asthma and chest pain. The Ministry also gave several recommendations on how to deal with those issues.
Those recommendations include but are not limited to avoiding physical activities outdoors if smoke is in the air; staying indoors and keeping windows and doors closed only open windows and doors for fresh air when the smoke situation has improved; paying attention to the heat indoors and taking steps to keep cool, and avoid using food boilers, candles, incense, gas stoves or smoking cigarettes indoors because these add to indoor fumes.
“The Ministry reminds the public if the above recommendations cannot be met, people should consider leaving to a safe area. Where it is not possible to leave the affected area, the public is advised to keep safe indoors especially if you or those you are caring for are having health problems,” the MOH said.
© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.