Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019. 4:40 pm CST.
The views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Breaking Belize News.
This article was written by Richard Harrison, Belizean investor in production and services businesses in Belize. He holds a Master’s in Business Administration degree from Lancaster University.
Am I the only one scared to be the next statistic on the streets and highways of Belize, victim of an 18-wheeler, sometimes with double-40 ft trailers, speeding past me and several vehicles in front of me? whoooof! and I am going 55 mph…
In the recent past, there are many accounts of big trucks and buses getting into fatal accidents…and nobody knows who was at fault?…and why?…and what steps to take to curb this growing trend? despite much improved roads…
Allow me to make some recommendations:
1. the drivers license of the big-vehicle driver responsible for a damaging road traffic accident MUST be revoked temporarily or permanently, depending on the severity of the damage…causing death by speeding or drunk/drugged, are among those things that could cause permanent revocation
2. the accelerators for all these vehicles should be controlled to limit their maximum speed
3. if a revoked drivers license is reinstated, that driver MUST drive ONLY comprehensive insured vehicles
4. a requirement for licensing of such vehicle should include the purchase of a vehicle tracing tag which can be picked up by a central tracking and recording system that can determine location and speed, etc
5. the drivers licensed to drive such vehicles MUST pass a basic drug test annually, the cost of which is financed equally by driver, employer and transport department
6. a maximum number of consecutive hours and total hours per day driving must become one of the conditions of the license
7. all checkpoints should have a breathilizer on hand to take evidence if obviously impaired drivers happen upon them
8. A coded list of all drivers convicted and license temporarily or permanently revoked must be readily available widely and especially to mobile police through hand held devices
I did not invent any of these suggestions…I saw them applied in other countries where I have travelled.
Hoping there will be an end to such tragic unnecessary mangled deaths on our streets and highways, by adopting some civilization to our systems…especially by way of management information systems.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2019, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.