Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020. 9:14 am CST.
By Aaron Humes: The parents of 9-year-old Hernando Ack, who died on New Year’s Day in his home village of San Miguel, Toledo District, are under investigation for alleged child neglect according to Channel 7 News.
A post-mortem examination shows he died of acute respiratory failure with other complications relating to second-degree burns and sepsis.
Police suspect the parents could not give him proper treatment at home despite not being satisfied with his treatment by the national health system.
Ack was said to have been playing with a cigarette lighter on a pit latrine in November when he was severely burned in the leg and stomach, likely from a combustion of methane gas inside the latrine.
He was initially treated at the Punta Gorda hospital and then the Southern Regional Hospital in Dangriga for a month, before being shuttled back and forth between the facilities.
The parents were not satisfied with his care and voluntarily withdrew him from the hospital, but his condition at home worsened until recently when he could neither eat nor speak and suffered from stomach pain and diarrhea.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt firstname.lastname@example.org оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.