Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020. 4:37 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams, today held his regular press conference with the media in Belmopan, Cayo.
It was there he reflected on policing efforts and crime statistics for 2019.
Last year there were 134 murders countrywide.
Commissioner Williams shared the leading causes of those murders.
1) Alcohol intoxication – Almost monthly we reported on incidents in which friends socializing ended in tragedy. Williams asked the various liquor licensing boards to exercise caution.
2) Domestic Violence – According to Commissioner Williams conflicts between family members and spouses were the second leading causes of murders for this year.
3) Drugs – The occurrence of suspected narco-carrying aircraft landing in Belize is no longer alarming. However, the offloading and transshipment of drugs has led to too much bloodshed countrywide.
4) Gang Violence – Although 2019 recorded the lowest murder count since 2008, Williams says there is more to be done in reducing gang-related fatalities. According to Williams, he is hoping for the hiring of a Gang Intervention Officer who will serve as a conduit between the Belize Police Department and the Conscious Youth Development Program (CYDP).
5) Miscellaneous – Finally Williams said that there were some murders which didn’t fit the other mentioned categories but were in fact recorded in 2019.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.