Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020. 3:05 pm CST.
The views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Breaking Belize News.
By Bernard Bulwer: WHO ADVISED BELIZE ON THIS? on “isolation areas within health facilities,” and “the hospital [KHMH] area designated for isolation” for possible Covid-19 Coronavirus patients (as per BBN’s article on Ministry of Health’s update on novel coronavirus (Covid-19))?
Let me LIST (1 to 10) what I want to say, clearly, because this is not about me…It is about Belize, it is about the nation’s health, and I’m not sure who is advising them:
1. While as we see (as in my previous post) that there is a cruise ship turned away (due to corona virus fears) and heading towards Mexico … (I scanned the local Belize news but saw no mention of this, not sure why).
2. And while expert epidemiologists and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention project that its JUST A MATTER OF TIME before most countries are affected to some degree … especially countries with significant exposure due to air travel, tourism, and otherwise …
3. … WORSE FOR COUNTRIES with poor health systems (Belize is in this category).
4. I see (as per this news link), that “Тhе mіnіѕtrу аlѕо ѕаіd thаt hеаlth rеgіоnѕ hаvе bееn аdvіѕеd tо іdеntіfу аnd PREPARE ISOLATION AREAS WITHIN HEALTH FACILITIES, nоtіng thаt nоt аll саѕеѕ rеquіrе іn-hоѕріtаl саrе. Вrеаkіng Веlіzе Nеwѕ (ВВN) ѕроkе wіth thе Каrl Неuѕnеr Меmоrіаl Ноѕріtаl Аuthоrіtу (КНМНА) еаrlіеr tоdау аnd rесеіvеd а brіеf tоur оf thе hоѕріtаl аrеа dеѕіgnаtеd fоr іѕоlаtіоn.”
5. On Feb. 13, I posted here on FB, and on LinkedIn-Professional, that quarantining passengers on a cruise ship off Japan’s Yokohama was a bad idea … an experiment. It turned out that way. It was a failed experiment for all to read.
6. The KHMH is Belize’s national referral hospital. WHEN THE KHMH GOES DOWN … for whatever reason, e.g. the operating rooms … the entire nation is affected. This is the national referral hospital! I served that institution as the Medical Director for 2 years (2009-2011), so presumably I know how things work … and don’t work.
7. I know what real isolation rooms and isolation wards look like, in the USA, across East Asia, and the UK. FYI: BELIZE HAS NO ISOLATION WARD OR FACILITY THAT REACHES THE INTERNATIONAL STANDARD.
8. Even countries with solid hospitals, with solid infectious disease expertise, are having a hard time coping. I am in almost daily contact with medical colleagues from Mainland China, Hong Kong, South Korea. HEALTH CARE WORKERS are themselves are at very risk. Many are infected, despite precautions. Some have died, as exemplified by that sacrificial 32-years old Chinese doctor. Li Wenliang, who first sounded the alarm.
9. They (in 8 above) are having a hard time controlling the spread of this very infectious and poorly understood virus, to which humanity as a whole has hitherto been exposed. This means that the masses are vulnerable with no prior immunity.
10. Which expertise has Belize sought? … Based on the quote in this article (assuming they got their facts right) “isolation areas within health facilities”, including the KHMH?
I’m writing this to John Public because maybe they’ll listen to you (and not to me).
Let your Belizean authorities know that if they ignorantly wish to cripple an already challenged health system (with NO REAL ISOLATION WARDS AND EXPERTISE FOR THIS KIND OF VIRUS), by inviting potential such patients … into any district hospital and the KHMH … is a formula for potential national disaster, and not just confined to healthcare.
FOR THE NATIONS SAKE! Tell your Belizean authorities to seek REAL EXPERTISE (not just WHO and PAHO, since these are politically driven organizations that often say what politicians want them to say, as is clear in this Covid-19 pandemic … which hasn’t be so labeled because of politics) but also from US-CDC or experts from Johns Hopkins, Duke, and Harvard (Belizeans in the Diaspora can arrange this).
Or maybe … Belize can just “fingers crossed”, “knock on wood”, and hope we never get a case, and proceed with the status quo … and “Que sera, sera”!
This article can also be found on the Belizean Diaspora page on Facebook.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.