Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020. 3:28 pm CST.
By Aaron Humes: While it may yet come, Prime Minister Dean Barrow says there is not yet a plan to declare a national state of emergency or shutdown at the start of the press conference ongoing in Belize City.
And if it gets there, the Prime Minister says there would be no need to rush the banks or supermarkets, and no need to panic. Belizeans can still go about getting their essentials but would be asked to otherwise shelter in place and follow the protocols on social distancing.
He also asked that people not buy excessive quantities of essential food stuff. According to the Minister of Agriculture, there is a plentiful supply.
The Prime Minister says the country continues to follow the stage plan mapped out by regional authorities. Belize is currently at stage one with so far one confirmed case. If transmission continues to rise controls will tighten and national leaders are not completely bound by that plan and can pull the trigger as necessary.
The health and safety of Belizeans, Barrow said, remains paramount.
Advertise with the largest and fastest growing audience in Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at [email protected] or call us at 670-6397.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.