By Aaron Humes:President of the Belize Bus Association, Thomas Shaw, has confirmed to Breaking Belize News that no bus companies countrywide will conduct bus runs beginning tomorrow, Sunday.
A combination of factors lie behind the decision, Shaw told us in a telephone interview.
Workers at the various terminals simultaneously called in sick this morning as confirmed to Shaw by Chief Transport Officer, Tirso Galvez and Minister Edmond Castro.
The Association was not made aware of this before the confirmation and so buses arrived to find the terminals locked.
Additionally, bus owners are losing massively even on the reduced schedule and owners have complained to Shaw about not being able to pay for fuel and salaries.
While the Association does not want to punish either Government or customers, Shaw says, the shutdown will give them the opportunity to hopefully persuade Government to continue planning potential assistance.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow said earlier this week that he would have to discuss potential fuel subsidy for bus transport.