Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020. 4:24 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: Today the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced that Belize has successfully contained the first wave of COVID-9 infections in the country.
At today’s session fo Ask the Experts, Director of Health Services Dr. Marvin Manzanero explained that it has been 7 weeks since the first reported case, and 4 weeks since the last reported case. Manzanero also said that successful containment would come after 28 days (two consecutive incubation periods for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)).
Manzanero said that, to date, the ministry has done 1,196 tests, as of this week we will be testing 3 times per week only on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, provided that nothing in the test findings prompts an increase in the frequency of testing. Manzanero added that, despite Belize managing its outbreak well, the country needs to be cautious going forwards as all other neighboring countries in close proximity are seeing increasing numbers of confirmed cases.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced last week that if Belize made it to 28 days without a newly-reported case, then Cabinet would discuss relaxing the State of Emergency regulations to allow for more casual and recreational movement throughout the country.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtі[email protected]еаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.