Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021. 11:40 am CST.
By Aaron Humes: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is backing a new federal policy to go into effect in two weeks, requiring international passengers traveling to the United States to show proof of a negative test for COVID-19, the New York Times reports.
So too are airlines allied to engage the federal government to set a national testing standard.
The policy goes into effect on January 26. CDC director Dr Robert R. Redfield said regular testing, combined with a period of self-isolation and everyday precautions such as wearing masks and social distancing, can make travel safer.
Passengers are being asked regardless of vaccination status to be tested within 72 hours of flying to the U.S. and present written documentation of test results or recovery from the disease. Proof of immunization alone will not be sufficient, a CDC spokesman said, because vaccines have so far been shown only to prevent serious illness, not infection and therefore there is still a risk of transmission.
If a passenger tests positive, the CDC will not require further testing for three months if the traveler shows no symptoms; they must provide documentation and a letter from a health care provider or public health official clearing them for travel.
Airlines must deny service to any passenger not showing proof of a negative test or recovery or who refuses to take a test, and confirm all passengers’ documentation before boarding.
Many airlines offer optional testing for passengers but mandate it only when destinations require them to do so. But last week, a group representing major U.S. airlines backed a policy that would require all passengers to get tested.
In a statement Tuesday, the group, Airlines for America, said it supports a national testing standard set by the federal government.
“Since the onset of this crisis, U.S. airlines have relied on science to help guide decisions as they continuously re-evaluate and update their processes, procedures and protocols,” the group said in a statement. “Recognizing that this regime will provide an additional layer of safety in the travel journey, we encourage the administration to move forward with recommendations to concurrently lift existing entry restrictions on travelers from Europe, the United Kingdom and Brazil.”
The policy is hoped to combat the spread of new variants of COVID-19 detected in Europe, particularly the United Kingdom; South Africa; and Brazil.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2021, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.