fbpx
Government of Belize launching $50 million COVID-19 relief program geared towards supporting small businesses
May 28, 2021
Dwayne Wade, Sherwin Roca, Kent ‘Bob’ Gabourel take to the Maskall Road on Sunday for the Weekend Warriors cycling race
May 28, 2021

Minister of Tourism confident in reopening of land borders; reminds the public that Belizeans are not free to go into Mexico

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Posted: Friday, May 28, 2021. 1:22 pm CST.

By Benjamin Flowers: The Government of Belize announced earlier this month that it plans to reopen land borders to receive tourists; a decision which Minister of Tourism and Diaspora Relations Anthony Mahler says he is confident will not adversely impact the country with regard to COVID-19 cases.

Mahler, speaking at today’s meeting of the House of Representatives, said that he does have apprehensions about the reopening but is confident that the operating procedures that will be put in place will be enough to keep the situation under control.

Mahler made his case by looking at the reopening of the Philip Goldson International Airport and pointing out that there have been minimal positive cases identified there, despite the growing number of people coming in.

“The airport represents about 75 percent of the overnight arrivals coming into this country. The land borders then and the seaports altogether, the other 25 percent. So you’re dealing with much smaller numbers than through the airport but the protocols will be a little bit more stringent,” Mahler said.

He noted that rapid test results will need to be within the last 24 hours instead of 48, and PCR test results will need to be within 72 hours instead of 96 hours, and anyone who tests positive will be sent back.

“I want to stress this to the Belizean public, we are not opening the borders for a free-for-all. It is only for tourists who are passing through or coming into this country staying at a Gold Standard hotel or moving through this country with a Gold Standard tour operator. It is not for Belizeans want to go to Chetumal to party or hang out,” Mahler added.

Comments

 

Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt marketing@breakingbelizenews.com оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.

 

© 2021, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

  • larry waight
  • galen university

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *