Posted: Friday, July 2, 2021. 11:14 am CST.
By Aaron Humes: For the next two weeks, starting today, according to Minister of Health and Wellness Michel Chebat, the Toledo District villages of Barranco, Midway and Conejo are locked down.
Movement into and out of the villages is restricted, he told the House of Representatives moments ago, as a result of a rapid increase of COVID-19 cases in the region. However, the residents will not be left adrift.
There will be food packages distributed starting today and replenished every four days until the end of lockdown. Each family household in each village will also be issued $150 per week ($300 total).
“This, ladies and gentlemen, is how a lockdown should be done,” he told his colleagues, to applause. “As a matter of public health, we are forced to take these measures. But we are also making sure that our people in those villages will have food and a stipend to sustain them over the next two weeks.”
Vaccinators and contact tracers will be visiting the villages starting today. This is the first lockdown in several months after several enforced last year, including a national one last April.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.
© 2021, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.