Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021. 1:42 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: The Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) today denied being in Emergency Mode despite reliable reports that say the National Referral Hospital is at present over-populated with patients, both with COVID-19 and other diseases, to the extent that it is not accepting transfers from regional or private hospitals.
The Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital Authority assures the general public that the hospital is currently not in Emergency Mode,” said the KHMH in a statement.
“However, the second phase of our COVID-19 response was activated so as to increase space to accommodate additional emergency patients. Our resources are constrained but we are able to deliver services as the National Referral Hospital.”
Reliable sources said that the KHMH currently has about 18 COVID-19 cases in two different units that are specific for the care of COVID-19 patients. The second phase the KHMH statement refers to is reportedly a second unit that was used for cases suspected of COVID-19 and is now being used for confirmed cases that are not as serious. The cases which require intensive care are in the main COVID-19 unit that reportedly has a capacity for ten beds.
Other than that, the hospital’s regular units, plus the Intensive Care Unit and the Emergency Unit are reportedly also full beyond capacity. These areas are filled with patients with other diseases.
“If COVID-19 admissions and trauma cases continue to increase, there may be a reduction of services and eventually the activation of full Emergency Mode,” said the KMMH statement.
“We ask the public’s kind cooperation and understanding as we adjust to meet the demands of the nation’s healthcare needs.”
The KHMH reportedly has approximately 180 beds with ten more at the Emergency Unit, seven at the Intensive Care Unit, plus the COVID-19 section.
At present, Belize is experiencing a third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic with official active cases bearing on the 900 mark and nine deaths over the last week.
In a statement, Cabinet said on Tuesday that the Ministry of Health and Wellness has informed the Cabinet of the current situation at the KHMH.
Cabinet also said it had approved additional containment measures which the Ministry of Health and Wellness is expected to announce soon.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2021, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.