Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2021. 8:43 pm CST.
By Aaron Humes: Several tourism stakeholders in San Ignacio Town reached out to our newsroom today to complain about the latest Statutory Instrument in which the Government of Belize mandated for the curfew to start at 7 p.m. instead of 9 p.m. in all areas except for San Pedro Town, Caye Caulker, Placencia and Hopkins. Also restaurants in these areas may serve guests and visitors while those outside may only serve guests in house, others must eat take-out.
One of the stakeholders said that it made no sense since San Ignacio Town ranks up there with Ambergris Caye and Placencia as a top tourist destination. Another said that San Ignacio needs a voice in the Government and Belize Tourism Board since many stakeholders in the town are already hurting and these stricter COVID measures are just going to hurt even more the pockets of employees including other locals like taxi drivers, farmers, and restauranteers. (Minister of Health Michel Chebat represents Cayo North which includes most of San Ignacio Town.)
The stakeholders demand that GOB also relax the COVID measures to San Ignacio Town since San Ignacio is renowned as a top eco-tourism destination not only in Belize but also in the world.
One even went so far as to say the Town would be doing well but for the effective lockdown it is under.
It remains to be seen if the rate of cases and deaths falls within this two-week period whether the Government relents.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.