Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2021. 11:47 am CST.
By Rubén Morales Iglesias: The Nicaraguan government announced on Friday that it is withdrawing from the Organization of American States (OAS) which last week the November 7 presidential elections in Nicaragua were fraudulent and gave Nicaragua until November 30 for the situation in the country to be reviewed.
On Friday, Nicaragua Foreign Minister Denis Moncada said he had presented an “official resignation” to OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro said Nicaraguan newspaper La Prensa.
The announcement came after Nicaragua’s National Assembly met on November 16 and voted 83 to 1 with three abstentions to withdraw from the regional body after what it called “repeated interventionist actions by the Organization of American States in the internal affairs of Nicaragua”. The Nicaraguan Supreme Court and the Supreme Electoral Council supported the National Assembly declaration.
The official document sent to the OAS by Moncada, on instructions from President Daniel Ortega, said Nicaragua was “denouncing” the OAS charter and that the notification was “starting Nicaragua’s definitive withdrawal and resignation from this organization”.
La Prensa said that according to an official government media, Almagro said Nicaragua’s decision will take two years, as per OAS rules, to leave and that the OAS would proceed with the corresponding procedures. According to the Nicaraguan official media, Almagro also said he would be “instructing Assistant Secretary-General Nestor Mendez to communicate the information to the OAS Member States and Permanent Observers”.
The Nicaraguan National Assembly document said that the OAS had been established by United States influence and its mission was to facilitate the US intervention in Latin American and Caribbean countries. That is “unacceptable” to Nicaragua, said the document, adding that Nicaragua wasn’t “any superpower’s colony”.
The OAS condemnation of Nicaragua’s election on November 7 when Ortega was elected for a fourth consecutive term came after seven opposition leaders were jailed once they announced their intention to contest the elections.
Spain’s European Union representative José Ramón Bauzá said on Twitter that Nicaragua was following in the footsteps of Cuba and Venezuela.
Opposition political organization Unamos tweeted that the government’s decision to pull out of the OAS is due to the defeat of its fake elections. Unamos said the government’s will does not represent the will of the Nicaraguan people.
For his part, the government of Nicolás Maduro in Venezuela saluted Nicaragua and said Venezuela supports the move. Venezuela sent its withdrawal letter to the OAS in 2017.
However, Costa Rican ex-President Laura Chinchilla said that if Nicaragua wants to leave the OAS, it can proceed, but reiterated that the move will not free Nicaragua from the OAS measures and from the sanctions by the international community.
Last week, the OAS General Assembly condemned the November 7 elections, stating that they “were not free, fair, nor transparent, and lack democratic legitimacy.”
Twenty-five countries voted in favor of the OAS resolution and seven abstained. Nicaragua was the only country to vote against it.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt firstname.lastname@example.org оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2021, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.