Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2022. 11:08 am CST.
By Aaron Humes: Fire personnel say a candle left unattended in the eastern corner of a Garifuna sacred temple in the Wagierale Area caused its destruction and that of a family home on Tuesday morning.
There was candle wax residue with patterns tracing back to the house which led to this conclusion.
According to police, a green two-story building of wood, plycem, and concrete with zinc roofing housing 15 persons and the temple, a wooden structure with zinc roof, were on fire just before 11 a.m.
Police spoke to the owner of the house, Bernadette Nadeen Noralez, who said she was at home with her grandchildren and daughter when she saw smoke coming out from the kitchen area located downstairs of the building. Upon making checks inside the kitchen area she saw the fire already expanding.
She ran out and started to alert everybody who was inside the house to come out. After verifying that everybody had made their way out of the house, she ran with her grandchildren to the street side just as there was a loud bang inside the house and the entire downstairs portion caught fire. The fire then expanded back toward the temple. All buildings and their content to the value of $170,000 were destroyed; fortunately, the buildings are insured.