By Benjamin Flowers: Russian negotiators were in Belarus over the weekend to hold peace talks with Ukraine’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba, following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last week.
Kuleba, in a televised statement, said that nothing is wrong with participating in the talks if the outcome is peace, but that Ukraine will continue fighting should the need arise.
“We will not, again and I want to make it very clear, we will not surrender,” Kuleba said. “We will not give up a single inch of our territory.”
On Thursday, February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that his country would be conducting “special military operations” in Ukraine. What followed was a numbered of airstrikes and the advancement of Russian troops and tanks into Ukraine.
Following the announcement, countries of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) condemned Russia’s unprovoked attack on Ukraine and issued a number of economic sanctions, and announced plans to deploy thousands of troops to offer military support to Ukraine.
Putin has since ordered that the Russian deterrent forces, which includes the country’s nuclear arms, be put on “high alert.”