By Benjamin Flowers: An apartment building in San Pedro reportedly belonging to a former Minister of Tourism was destroyed by fire over the Easter Weekend.
The Belize National Fire Service (BNFS) says that its personnel responded to a call shortly after 5:00 p.m. on Good Friday, to find the two-story structure at the height of the blaze.
BNFS Station Sergeant Kenneth Mortis said that the fire started on the southwestern portion of the building, which was being used as a living room/modified bedroom.
“When we concluded our investigation we learned that this fire started as the result of an electrical flaw, and unfortunately, for the occupants of this particular structure, they lost everything,” Mortis said.
He added that there is still information forthcoming to the BNFS team in San Pedro such as whether or not the building was insured and the number of occupants displaced due to the fire, but that some occupants were not cooperating with the investigation.