Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2022. 9:15 am CST.
Contributed by Resilient Rural Belize: Resilient Rural Belize in collaboration with the Pesticide Control Board, Sustainable Harvest International, and Ministry of Agriculture held their first in a series of training sessions on “Adapting Climate Smart Agriculture Practices to reduce the use of Pesticides in Vegetable Production for members of the Valley of Peace Lagoon Farmers Co-operative and farmers from El Cricon Group, in Valley of Peace Cayo district on June 29th, 2022.
• To promote climate-smart agriculture practices by implementing sustainable soil and crop management techniques and teaching farmers about the elaboration bio-inputs to reduce the use of pesticides and introduce bio-fertilizers to reduce the cost of production and to ensure the production of safe vegetables.
• To reduce reliance on Restricted-Use Pesticides and adopt safer alternatives.
• To improve pest and disease management at the farm level for common pests.
• To increase capacity and knowledge on Climate Smart Agriculture Adaptation measures and practices.
Participants: 19 farmers from Valley of Peace Lagoon Farmers’ Co-operative (RRB-PO) and 7 farmers from El Cricon group
The practical session included the elaboration of 4 bio-products:
1. Solid Mountain Microorganisms (MM) (for use in the preparation of fertilizer)
2.) Liquid Mountain Microorganisms (MM) Liquid Phase
3.) Madrecacafol (natural insecticide)
4.) Bio-Neem (natural insecticide)
Farmers from both groups expressed their gratitude for such an important activity. They mentioned that especially in this time where fertilizers and agrochemicals are very expensive there is a need to look for alternatives to reduce the cost of production while improving yields. They are looking forward to the next training session that will focus on bio-fungicides and fertilizer alternatives.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2022, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.