Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2023. 9:53 am CST.
By Zoila Palma Gonzalez: China has reportedly suspended the social media accounts of over 1,000 people that criticized the Government’s COVID-19 policies as infections continue to soar, the Associated Press reports.
The site, Sina Weibo said it issued temporary or permanent bans on 1,120 accounts.
Last month, China abandoned its zero-covid policy and since then, the country has experienced a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The social media company said that it will “continue to increase the investigation and cleanup of all kinds of illegal content, and create a harmonious and friendly community environment for the majority of users.”
According to the report, critics had discussed the heavy-handed enforcement of regulations including lockdowns for weeks with people not receiving adequate food or medical care.
Officials fear that cases could continue to rise rapidly especially as many will travel to celebrate the Lunar New Year.
China’s transport Ministry is now urging all travelers to reduce trips and gatherings and to wear face masks.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.
© 2023, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.