fbpx
Forecasters monitor tropical disturbance in Southwestern Atlantic
May 23, 2024
San Antonio Village Council thanks volunteers in assisting to battle fires
May 23, 2024

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts above-normal 2024 Atlantic hurricane season

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2024. 8:49 am CST.

By Zoila Palma Gonzalez: Weather experts at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are predicting an above-normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane season.

The Atlantic Hurricane Season spans from June 1 to November 30.

This year, weather experts predict an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA is forecasting a range of 17 to 25 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher).

Of those, 8 to 13 are forecast to become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).

Forecasters have a 70% confidence in these ranges.

According to NOAA, the Atlantic hurricane season is expected to have above-normal activity due to a confluence of factors, including near-record warm ocean temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, development of La Nina conditions in the Pacific, reduced Atlantic trade winds and less wind shear, all of which tend to favor tropical storm formation.

 

Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-612-0315.

 

© 2024, BreakingBelizeNews.com. Content is copyrighted and requires written permission for reprinting in online or print media. Theft of content without permission/payment is punishable by law.

Comments

  • Galen University
  • Belmopan Aggregates
  • larry waight
  • Belmopan Aggregates
  • cahal pech village resort
  • Galen University
  • Belmopan Aggregates
  • Belmopan Aggregates