Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014. 7:06 am CST.
Monday, September 29, 2014. Patrick E. Jones Reporting: The officer commanding the San Ignacio police formation Superintendent Dinsdale Thompson has retracted a statement he made on Sunday afternoon during the funeral for Special Constable Danny Conorquie.
While expressing condolences to the family on the murder of Conorquie in the line of duty on Thursday, September 25, Superintendent Thompson told the gathering that the police investigation had concluded that Guatemalan nationals were responsible for the murder of Danny Conorquie.
In a statement issued via the police press office, Superintendent Thompson said: “I am hereby retracting what I had said publicly at the funeral. I would like to now say that we have no evidence to prove that the culprits who shot Danny Conorquie are from Guatemala. We are still continuing with our investigation trying to ascertain who and from where are the people that are responsible for this shooting.”
Meanwhile a statement from the office of the Prime Minister today said that the Honorable Dean Barrow has spoken personally with the next of kin of the slain Special Constable and that Mr. Barrow “offered every assurance that the ultimate sacrifice made by this Belizean hero will not be forgotten.”
The official statement goes on to say that “the Government commits to looking after the financial welfare of his immediate survivors.”
The Prime Minister’s statement expresses condolences to the family of Danny Conorquie and “also expresses outrage at the heinous nature of the killing, and condemns the perpetrators of the dastardly act.”
The PM’s statement says that “there are reasons to believe that Guatemalan nationals may be responsible for the shooting and this has been communicated to the Guatemalan Authorities and the OAS.”
Prime Minister Barrow’s statement says that “the Guatemalan Foreign Minister expressed his government’s regret over the death of the Belizean Special Constable and offered full collaboration in the effort to bring the perpetrators to justice.”
The Belize government statement ends by saying that “every effort will continue to be made to strengthen the security arrangements in the border areas.”
Having said that, then, the official statement announces that on Friday of last week an operation called Operation Incisive Gallop, was launched by the Belize Defence Force.
This operation, according to the official statement is “designed to clear illegal incursions into our national territory.”
It noted that “the first of three new border outposts is nearing completion, and our capacity to deploy security forces more rapidly and effectively in the jungle is also being reviewed. Government is determined to do everything possible to safeguard Belizeans and to prevent any repetition of harm to our Security personnel.”
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt market[email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2014, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.