5 police officers charged for illegal activity in 2 weeksApril 13, 2017
Ladyville Police gets new vehicleApril 13, 2017
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017. 8:34 am CST.
By BBN Staff: The 89th Edition of the Holy Saturday Cross Country Cycling Classic kicks off on Holy Saturday, April 15 at 6 a.m.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the race:
- The race began in April of 1928, when Belizean Monrad Metzgen noticed the amount of bicycles people use to attend cricket games in Northern Belize. He proposed a cycling “expedition” to El Cayo. At the time, the road was a rough trail. The Governor, Sir John Burdon immediately pledged his support and offered a cup as a prize to the winner.
- The winner of the first race was Belizean Elston Kerr.
- The only cyclist to have won three consecutive cross country races was cyclist Aston Gill.
- Jeffrey O’Brien, known to be the best sprinter won the Cross Country in 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955—all in a sprint finish and took second place in 1953.
- Many of the trailblazers of the history of the sport are the fathers and grandfathers of some of our present day distinguished cyclists.
- The annual one day sporting event is organized by the Cycling Federation of Belize (formerly Belize and British Honduras Cycling Association).
- The race begins at 6:00 a.m. every year on Holy Saturday in Belize City. Cyclists ride to San Ignacio town and back to Belize City in a grueling 144 mile ride.
- The participation of the race is limited to amateur cyclists from any country.
- In addition to prizes awarded to first, second and third place at the end of the race, businesses give station prizes along the highway.
- Thousands of Belizeans line up along the George Price Highway to watch the race.
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt [email protected] оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2017, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.