Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2020. 6:22 pm CST.
The views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Breaking Belize News.
By Repent Belize: We all have ideas about what we want the government to do. Some want the government to give them a job. Others want the government to give them money because they can’t find a job; or because they don’t want to work. Then there are those who want the government to lock down the country, punish the neighbor for having visitors, and stop people from going out without a mask. Also they would like for the government to tell us what we can and cannot do: if we can go to church or not, if we can have guests in our home, if our business can be open, etc. Believe it or not, in some countries there are people that even want the government to dictate how many children a couple can have, among other tyrannical things.
The question is, can the government give us requirements for these things? Who exactly is the government? Is it the people in cabinet? Or the people in town councils? Are employees at the ministry of health the government? How about the police department, or the department of the environment? I don’t know your definition for government, but I define government as those who get their paychecks from tax money. So all of the above would fall under government in my definition.
I think we need to go back to the foundation of truth. What is the government’s job and who gets to say what it is?
– Does the consensus of people’s opinion dictate what the government’s job is?
– Do we look at history and decide which form of government we want and what it is they should do?
– Do we go by trial and error? One party tried something which we think didn’t work so we’ll try some other random things by another party?
How do we know what is good and right? There is only 1 source for truth, and it is the Bible.
So, what is the job of the government? The Bible has all the instructions we need. Let’s look at a few examples. In Luke 3; some different people asked Jesus what they should do- to do the works of God, and here is what He said:
– To the every-day people …“And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.” (Luke 3:10-11) Note: in other words, Jesus said to them, be kind and be generous to others.
– To publicans (aka tax collectors) …“Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto Him, Master, what shall we do? And He said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.” (Luke 3:12-13) Note: do not take more taxes from people than what is right
– To soldiers …“And the soldiers likewise demanded of Him, saying, And what shall we do? And He said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.” (Luke 3:14) Note: to the soldiers, don’t extort by lying, and don’t force people to do something because you think you can.
Notice that in none of these instances did Jesus tell the person who asked to stop their job with the evil government. Some people treat the government as inherently evil, but that is not supported by Scripture. Romans 13:1 says “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.”
Some people will now say, see, you need to submit to whatever the government says. Look what else Romans 13 says. In verse 3, “For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same”
We can make this much longer, but in short, I will propose to you that the government has a responsibility before God to be God’s servant, punish what is evil, and praise that which is good as Romans 13 says. Anything contrary to this is disobedience to God. And we should not support disobedience to God. We should call it out, and call people in government to fear God and do what is right.
Romans 13:4 “For he [rulers, government] is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.”
I believe we need to ask some simple, yet serious questions:
– Is working for a living, evil? Ever? (Look at 1Tim 5:8 and Genesis 3:19)
– Is going to God’s church evil? Ever? (Look at Hebrews 10:25)
– Is it evil to want to talk to people humanely and face to face?
– Is it evil if we want to take care of our own health with doctors we know?
– Is it evil if we don’t want to inject unknown substances into our body?
Much more could be said, but we will leave it at this. Do you know Jesus? It is appointed for man to die once, and after this the judgment. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
If you’re searching for a church, prayer, or need more information, please visit: www.RepentBelize.com/gospel
Аdvеrtіѕе wіth thе most visited news site in Веlіzе ~ Wе оffеr fullу сuѕtоmіzаblе аnd flехіblе dіgіtаl mаrkеtіng расkаgеѕ. Yоur соntеnt іѕ dеlіvеrеd іnѕtаntlу tо thоuѕаndѕ оf uѕеrѕ іn Веlіzе аnd аbrоаd! Соntасt uѕ аt email@example.com оr саll uѕ аt 501-601-0315.
© 2020, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.