By Rubén Morales Iglesias: Following a barrage of criticism on social media platforms resulting from the death of 18-year-old Chris Rodriguez who was stabbed at one of its facilities in San Ignacio earlier this week, the National Sports Council (NSC) is dropping fees for minors and individuals who want to use their sporting facilities.
Rodriguez was allegedly stabbed multiple times by stadium caretaker Fausto Teck, who was subsequently charged with murder, during an altercation after he told the caretaker he didn’t have a ticket to show that he had paid for the use of the Norman Broaster Stadium.
“No fee is to be charged to minors or any individuals wanting to use our sporting facilities,” said National Sports Council Director Ian Cal to NSC District Offices and District Sports Committees in a memorandum dated May 5 which he sent to the District Chairmen and Administrative Officers.
Saying that the NSC facilities are for sports, recreation, and development, Cal also said teams can book the facilities for free for practice during the day.
However, he said that at night, teams would be permitted two hours of ‘free light usage’ but that “any practice time exceeding 2 hours must pay the necessary fees”.
Cal also said the NSC will continue charging the “scheduled fees for organized tournaments and summer camps and the like when the organizers charge students.
Organizers of events for which attendees are charged also have to pay.
Additionally, Cal said that the NSC will continue charging the usual costs for the rental of NSC facilities.