By Aaron Humes: Police are investigating an alleged accidental poisoning of a child in the Orange Walk District village of San Felipe.
Two-year-old Melanie Santos was seen eating bread laced with Lannate, a pesticide/insecticide, around 7 p.m. Tuesday, moments after her father Orlando, 42, placed it on top of a bedhead in the home to catch rats.
Orlando and Noemi Santos, the child’s mother, immediately took her to the Northern Regional Hospital in Orange Walk Town, and thereafter to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City. Her condition is reported as stabilized, but critical.
Lannate insecticide is usually diluted with water for use in controlling various pests affecting crops such as rice, eggplant, okra, beans, citrus, and other fruits and vegetables and is considered highly toxic and deadly.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Belize ~ We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Belize and abroad! Contact us at mаrkеtіng@brеаkіngbеlіzеnеwѕ.соm or call us at 501-601-0315.