Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018. 1:22 pm CST.
By BBN Staff: With mere days left to Fiestarama, the Orange Walk Town Council will be attending a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and substantive minister with the sports portfolio Patrick Faber this afternoon, in an effort to resolve the ongoing issue with the National Sports Council.
The council sought Faber’s intervention after the National Sports Council said publicly that it will not budge on its $5,000 rental fee for the use of the People’s Stadium for the event, scheduled for July 28-29.
The council says it cannot afford such a high rental cost and is calling on the Minister to have the fee waived so that the event can proceed as planned.
Sports Council Director Ian Jones held a press conference yesterday, emphasizing that the Town Council needs to settle its arrears for last year’s event, which totals over $3,000 and pay the new rental fee before the council will approve the use of the venue.
Jones emphasized that the Town Council failed to honor its contractual agreement and pay 10 percent of the proceeds from last year’s event, which prompted the Sports Council to charge a flat fee up front.
© 2018, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the copyrighted property of Breaking Belize News. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.